- To be able to fill in the marriage statement you will both need a Danish Civil Registration Number and “NemID”, and you must be able to use the self-service solution.
- If only one of you has a Danish Civil Registration Number, please call our Wedding Department (+45 74 92 92 92) and we will send the form “Marriage Statement” to you. To make it as easy for you as possible, the marriage statement is available in Danish, German and English.
Issue of a marriage license
- The municipality will then check that you fulfil the conditions to marry each other. If you do, they will issue a marriage license.
- If you are planning for a register office ceremony in the municipality, they will keep the marriage license.
- If you want to marry in another municipality, in a church or in a religious society, you will get the marriage license which you are to hand over to the wedding authorities.
- Please take notice that the marriage license has an expiry date. Which is four months after its issue. That will most likely not be a problem – you are probably quite eager to say ‘I do’.
How to get married in a town hall?
If you want a register office ceremony, you are free to choose which town to get married in – whether Tønder, Højer or Løgumkloster has won your heart. Pick the town and the venue that suit you the best. The town that will make the best surroundings for your special day.
We want this day to be YOUR special day. Wedding ceremonies are normally taking place Thursdays or Fridays during opening hours.
A wedding ceremony requires two witnesses. It is your decision, whether you want to bring your own witnesses or whether you want us to be your witnesses. We are here to help.
Just after the ceremony you will get your marriage certificate.
Please note: If you want to get married in another municipality than your own, you must contact this municipality and arrange a time for your wedding, before you fill in the marriage statement.
We live abroad and would like to get married in Tønder Municipality
If you live abroad, you can still be married in Tønder which has the perfect surroundings for your special day in the name of love.
We are both Danish citizens
- If you are both Danish citizens we need a statement from your present municipality of residence with your civil status (unmarried, divorced, widow or widower). If you have lived in different countries, we will need a statement from each country.
- If you have had a divorce abroad, we will need a copy of your divorce papers. Please also make sure, that your divorce has been registered in the Civil Registration System.
- If you are a widow/widower, we will need a copy of the death certificate. If your spouse died while you were living in Denmark, we will need a copy of the probate court certificate (stating division of the property).
One of us is a foreign national
If one of you are a foreign national, the Danish citizen just follow “We are both Danish citizens” (link hertil)
For the foreign national: We need a statement from your present municipality of residence with your civil status (unmarried, divorced, widow or widower). If you have lived in different countries, we will need a statement from each country.
- If you are from one of the Nordic countries, we will need a copy of your passport.
- If you are not from one of the Nordic countries, we will need a copy of your passport and possibly documentation that your stay in Denmark is legitimate.
- If you have had a divorce abroad, we will need a copy of your divorce papers.
- If you are a widow/widower, we will need a copy of the death certificate.• If you are a Danish citizen and going to marry a third country person, you both need to sign the statement below and send it to us together with the other documentation.
Statement – Danish version
Statement – English version
Statement- German version
If the foreign documentation is not in English, we will need a translated copy. We still need to have both the translated copy as well as a copy in the original language. TJEK DANSK
When we have gone through your documentation we will agree on a wedding date. Now we are getting closer to that which really matters: Your special day.
Three days before your wedding you will need to come to our office to present your documentation in originals and your passports as well as your proof of a legitimate stay in Denmark (if necessary). We will send you an e-mail or a letter so that you will know the exact time and place of the meeting. It is important that we take care of all formalities before your wedding day – on this day all your focus should be on what this is really about: You two. Your love.
Change of family name
When you marry you can choose to change your middle and/or family names. If you want to change your family names, it is easily done online. Use the self-service “Navneændring på bryllupsdagen” to do so.
Your application for a change of family name must be submitted 15 days before the ceremony, if you want the new name to appear on the marriage certificate. However, you can change your family name free of charge in three months after your wedding.
Please note that public authorities (eg SKAT) that use information from the Civil Registration System will automatically be informed of the change of family name.
Marriage license fee
From 1st October 2018 we will no longer accept new applications
In order to be able to finish the case working of the files received and paid by 30th September 2018 and subsequently complete the approved files with a marriage this year, we will no longer accept new applications from 1st October 2018. Our bank account will close on 1st October 2018.
New conditions from 2019
From 1st January 2019 legislative changes with regard to the case working and the approval of documents necessary in connection with a marriage in Denmark are introduced. From this date the case working and the approval will be made by a central national unit. This unit does not perform marriages – they only handle the preceding case working and the approval of the documents.
The actual wedding can still be performed in Tønder in 2019 (no additional costs), and we would be happy to perform your marriage, if you choose our municipality for your big day.
Re-issuing of marriage certificate
If you have lost your marriage certificate or for any other reason need a new issuing of your marriage certificate, you just need to contact the authority in charge of your wedding ceremony. Tønder Municipality can only re-issue your marriage certificate, if you were married here.
Photos from Instagram
Follow us on Instagram and use #tonderweddings to share your wedding in Tønder.